I have decided that summer 2015 is the summer of pacing. Instead of having a bunch of summer races lined up that I have to stress about and train for, I’m letting my friends stress and train and then joining in for the fun parts.
This week, I’m road-tripping with Abbie dog to Sheridan, WY for the Big Horn 100 to pace and crew for my friend Evan (he’s kind of a big deal y’all). I’ll be mostly riding around with Jenn (Evan’s girlfriend) and our two pups on crazy mountain roads, trying to find aid stations and crew access points. I’m sure the driving and crewing alone will be a huge adventure. And then sometime during the night I’ll get to sport my brand spankin’ new headlamp (I’m gonna light up the freaking forest!!!) and jump in for 30 some miles to keep Evan company…that is, if I can even keep up with him.
Anyway, I’m driving from Portland to Missoula today and then Missoula to Wyoming tomorrow just in time for packet pick-up and last minute thoughts / plans. And since I’ll be doing two pretty solid days in the car, I’ve packed pretty much all the essentials:
- Wild Friends Nut Butter & Apples (my fave healthy roadtrip snacks!)
- SOS Rehydrate (gotta stay on point with my hydration…#pacerlife)
- Rosemary almonds from Nuts on the Run (#snackcrack)
- My new, amazingly bright Petzl Tikka RXP headlamp – thanks to my gearhead friend Jenny for the recommendation. Like I said, I’m gonna light up the whole damn forest this weekend but also have it for emergency situations (#soresponsible)
- A thermos filled with Stumptown Cold Brew (need I say more?)
- Plenty of water for myself and Abbie girl
- And I’ve got TONS and TONS of podcasts downloaded and ready like Mystery Show, Startup, The Right Reasons, just to name a few
- ShowerPill Athletic Wipes (its important to stay fresh)
- Hand Sanitizer. When you travel with a dog (or child), get yo’self some hand sanitizer.
- And of course, my trusty Hokas. I’ve got a pair for racing (like the actual running part), a pair for crewing (like you know, standing around aid stations and listening to music in the car), and another pair for when my feet just need to feel like they’re floating on clouds…true story 😉
What are your summer road trip essentials?
Stay sweaty friends!