Yesterday was the official launch of Fit Approach PDX bootcamp (woot, woot!) – we held our very first waterfront bootcamp class which we’ll continue to hold every Tuesday at 6:15pm (we’ll potentially add more days / times as we grow!).
And while I will always love my SF bootcamp crew and cherish all the memories we made in those early morning hours on the stairs, I am so grateful for this opportunity to sweat it up Portland style. Our stairs might not be as steep but the amount of heart, soul and energy that the Portland crew puts into class all but makes up for it (and we have plenty of other opportunities to challenge ourselves on the giant waterfront playground!).
Making my way to the meeting spot with a backpack full of weights and a rather unwieldy yoga mat that would not stay rolled up, no matter what I did, I started to wonder just how many people would actually show up for class. The skies were a nice dark shade of gray and everywhere around me was wet – it was raining pretty hard.
And when I arrived, I saw that the crew was there – every single person who signed up for class showed up for class. Everyone was equipped with a solid rain jacket and a let’s kick ass attitude and smile.
In this sweaty hour, I learned so much about this city and the badass people who live here.
- Rain isn’t a big deal. You just keep doing what you’re doing and enjoy it for what it is – an excuse to not do your hair, to wear whatever footwear is most comfortable and generally just say f* it.
- While rain might be an excuse to ditch the blowdryer, it isn’t an excuse to skip a workout (we skipped many rainy morning bootcamps in SF, just sayin’).
- All you need is a proper rain jacket (which I, for the record, do not own yet). My bootcampers were saying that once you get that perfect rain jacket – where virtually no water can get through – you’re set.
- Wet yoga mat? Wet ground? Wet everywhere? No problem. Seriously, none at all. Let’s do push-ups (hands on the wet ground) – nobody even bats an eye. Let’s get on our backs for abs – nobody cares. Everyone just kept moving with the same good attitude and smile.
- My biggest lesson from bootcamp: I am going to love it here.
No complaining. No bitching. No pretty princesses or unicorns. Just smile and get ‘er done. My kind of workout, my kind of people.
We did some of my favorite circuits – stair hops & sprints, weighted jump squats, mountain climbers, push-ups and rows, box jumps, tricep dips with holds and of course my favorite thing EVER, my in/out hold ab workout.
Thank you to my Portland bootcamp crew for showing me what this city is truly about. And kudos on a first of many kick ass workouts.
Stay sweaty friends!
Nicole saysApril 29, 2015 at 9:56 am
I so wish we had something like that here! I have envied it since the beginning of my Sweat Pink time.
Jamie saysApril 29, 2015 at 10:34 am
Nicole – you could totally start a Sweat Pink bootcamp in Portland, TX. We should talk about that!!! 🙂