With 2017 already well underway, it’s time to examine the trends in health, fitness and beauty that are here to stay.
From colorful and patterned (and dare I say, high waisted!) yoga pants that embolden us in our workouts (and our coffee dates) to flaunting natural skin (and lashes!), to the foods that put SUPER in superfoods, to fit vacations, water-based workouts and HIIT training, it seems everyone is feeling empowered to live a fitter and healthier lifestyle this year.
Here are the trends I’m excited about (and watching for) in 2017:
1. Well, hello again 1992.
I don’t know about you but I love that neon is back. And I almost love that wild patterned pants and florals are back. And I’m getting there on the whole high waisted thing. I guess it just depends on the day.
With bright hues, patterns and even high waisted being all the rage, I can’t help but feel a little Kelly Taylor about the whole thing. As long as I’m not Donna Martin, we’re ok. I’ve been having fun changing up my black yoga pants routine for something with a little kick. Some of my favorite yoga pants for 2017 include:
- Daughters of Culture: If you want a pair of pants that will truly inspire you, these are for you! The brand’s whole look is courageous, bold, and uniquely beautiful. I never thought I could love a pair of floral pants as much as I love these. Go ahead, express yourself!
- prAna: I LOVE the Roxanne leggings from prAna. They are mid rise (so not too high waisted) and perfectly patterned. Plus, they come in several cute colors so you can get one of each!
- Nike: I pretty much want to live in Nike’s Power Epic Lux leggings. They are so flattering and a great spin on the classic black yoga pant, meaning you can get them in purple. They’re great for every activity – from runs, to yoga, to hiit workouts!
2. I swear, they’re REAL.
It seems everywhere I turn, the focus is on the real thing. Whether it’s flaunting your real lashes (forgoing the falseies and even the mascara – gasp!), to saying goodbye to makeup altogether, to being proud of the skin we are in (gooodbye to silicone parts!) and even to less heat in our hair (opting for more natural looking waves and styles). If you want to jump in on this trend, it’s time to get your skin and hair care in order.
For beautiful, soft and glowing skin that needs no stinkin’ makeup, here’s what’s in my beauty bag:
- Frank Body’s line of coffee scrubs: With these invigorating coffee based scrubs, you can invite your skin to wake up and give it a fresh and beautiful glow!
- Mad Hippie: I’m in love with Mad Hippie’s Exfoliating Serum, it’s an anti-aging, skin brightening fairy in a bottle! Poof and your skin looks and feels younger, brighter and more beautiful. And it’s made with only natural ingredients so you can feel good about putting it on your face!
- Goddess Garden: One of the amazing sunscreen products I discovered at ShiftCon 2016 is Goddess Garden Organic’s Natural Sunscreen Sport Stick. It’s perfect for an active, on the go lifestyle and is easily packable in your makeup or travel bag or your ski pants’ pocket!
To keep your hair looking fresh and flat iron free, try:
- Oribe’s Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo and Conditioner: I’ll admit, it’s a little on the pricey side, but it’s helped me restore my natural waves and gives my dry, unruly hair a nice soft shine. It contains healing oils and extracts—cypress, argan and maracuja— for balance and strength.
- Kerastase Masquintese: If I ever had one hair product that I felt truly got me, it’s this one! This is one of the most hydrating, luxurious hair masques I’ve ever used. And I’ve tried them all. It’s a bit of a higher price point but it lasts forever, as in a little bit of this stuff goes a long way!
3. Well, that’s just SUPER…food.
Superfoods are still in vogue and they’re just getting better and better, in my opinion. From delicious and nutritious superfood protein powders like Amazing Grass’ new line of Protein Superfood plant based protein powders to nuts with cool names and cool ingredients like Navita’s Naturals Maca Maple Cashews to things like superfood lip balm (a chocolate kiss, anyone?).
4. Retreats are the new all inclusive resort.
Gone are the days when you gather your best girlfriends for a debaucherous weekend full of all you can drink frozen drinks; today, it’s all about finding vacations centered around sweat and wellness. Everywhere you turn, people are talking about their next great adventure, retreat or race-cation! This is one trend, I for one, cannot get enough of! If you want to join me for some fit vacation fun, you’re in luck:
- March 10-12, 2017: If you’ve been thinking about a California wine country vacation that will leave you with more than a hangover and red stains on your teeth, look no further! Fit Approach and Flex & Flow have teamed up for the EMPOWER Retreat, a weekend of yoga, trail running, and HIIT Yoga, hiking, delicious food and wine…and of course great gifts from Sweat Pink partners like prAna, Handful Bras, Pavepara, and Frank Body, just to name a few. Get EXCITED, y’all!
- August 4-6, 2017: Save the date for the first ever EMPOWER Race + Yoga Weekend, a women’s only race and yoga weekend brought to you by Fit Approach and Titanium Racing. Details will be announced shortly but I can tell you this much…it’s going to be an epic weekend of running in the beautiful Bay Area (California), yoga, and amazing brands! Who’s ready for a race-cation?!?!
5. The new meaning of hydro powered…
If you’re looking for a killer workout that creates unstable resistance, challenges your balance and your core strength, just add water.
Hydro inertia training is all the rage in 2017 with the introduction of the Surge and Kamagon Ball earlier this month, the two new hydro inertia training tools from Hedstrom Fitness.
The Surge is functional fitness at its finest, it is a product that trains you for everyday movements through “living resistance” – in other words the shifting of water as you lift, press, pull and move!
The Kamagon Ball may slightly resemble a kettlebell but don’t be fooled by shape and form, it is so much more than a kettlebell. Once you add water to your Kamagon Ball, your workout will be unlike any other; the water shifts as you move, mimicking real movements far better than any static weights.
6. HIIT workouts, not people.
Unfortunately, I can’t take credit for this amazing headline – I have to give credit where credit is due – thanks to the one and only Becky Stifter for this amazing little gem. But I can take credit for the sweaty, high-intensity, quad shaking, mountain climber sprinting, core building workout that is HIIT Yoga. HIIT Yoga is my signature workout that combines all the goodness of power yoga with high intensity interval training for an efficient cardio workout that will help you tone, strengthen, stretch and lengthen.
And it’s not just HIIT Yoga that’s on trend for 2017, it’s all HIIT workouts – at least according to an annual report published by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). And that makes perfect sense to me. What’s better than an efficient workout that helps you torch calories by alternating through quick bursts of high-intensity movements combined with short rest periods?
And there you have it, the fitness, health and beauty trends I’m watching for in 2017!
What trends are you watching this year? What trends are you loving or loathing?
Stay sweaty friends!
Susie @ Suzlyfe saysJanuary 19, 2017 at 9:07 am
Good thing that natural beauty is in, because I hardly remember how to put on makeup, lol 😀
Jamie saysJanuary 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm
HAHA, RIGHT?! I KNOW!
Nicci saysJanuary 19, 2017 at 9:31 am
Awesome lineup!! Eating a Navitas PB bar as we speak 😉 Thanks to you!
We’re all in an incredible, sweaty and delicious year! woohoo!!
Jamie saysJanuary 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm
Liz saysJanuary 19, 2017 at 9:47 am
I’m totally on board the highwaisted neon trend! 😉 And I’m totally ok with the #sweatyhairdontcare #freshfaced look to come back in style. Woo hoo!
Jamie saysJanuary 19, 2017 at 11:22 pm
And you look so cute in all of those things…all of those looks!
Pickleball saysNovember 16, 2017 at 8:30 am
great post, that kamagon bell looks wicked. I got into kettle bell workouts a couple years ago and love it for full body workouts without traditional bars and dumbells. I have to try out the ‘Kamagon’, looks cool.
Jamie saysNovember 16, 2017 at 10:16 am
The Kamagon is AWESOME! Give it a try!
Billy Blanks saysJune 4, 2018 at 7:35 pm
H, Jamie. Yes, HIIT is a trend now and I hope that it will thrive for more years. This is a good article, by the way and I am loving it. Thanks for this. Cheers!
erin saysJuly 9, 2018 at 6:13 am
Really this is awesome site for tips with which we can be informed about health , beauty and fitness.
Jennifer Berkey saysDecember 9, 2018 at 5:26 pm
Everything is still true today and I guess this will be ‘in’ until 2019. I love this. Xoxo.