Do you know what makes food really good? …
Now that we have that out of the way, here’s an easy week night recipe that tastes especially perfect after a long run. It’s full of flavor, and will please almost everyone. And yes, I realize the photo is trash…but this isn’t about the photo, it’s about the food. So grab your fork and buckle up.
- 2 tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup of mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 heaping handful of spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2-3 dashes of Oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 lb uncooked gnocchi (I used standard grocery store pre-packed shelf-stable gnocchi for this)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add 1 tbs of butter to a skillet on medium high heat. Add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the oregano and spinach. Continue to cook until the spinach is wilted and then remove from heat, mix in the parmesan, and cherry tomatoes and set aside.
- Add the remaining butter to a skillet on medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to brown. Don’t stir until the very end – let the mushrooms just soak up all the butter and cook in their own juices for next level deliciousness.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gnocchi (follow instructions on the package – generally you just boil water, add the gnocchi and let cook for about 2-3 minutes or until they float, and then drain!).
- Add the spinach mixture and mushrooms to the gnocchi and sprinkle with a little olive oil and salt and pepper if desired.
- Optional: Sprinkle more parmesan on top and / or add some fresh mozzarella
AND ENJOY your carby, potato dumplings!
Stay sweaty (and then eat carbs)!