You may never find yourself in Amarillo, Texas. You might skip over this post and wonder why anyone might ever just find themselves in Amarillo, Texas. It’s not exactly a travel destination, you don’t see posts about the city in Travel & Leisure and I doubt there’s even a Lonely Planet guide dedicated to the Northern Texas city.
Amarillo is the largest city in the Texan panhandle and is along the historic Route 66 and there are a few things to do (and eat) if you do find yourself there:
- Watch an Amarillo sunset: the sky is pretty amazing, those country singers aren’t lying!
- Go to the Rodeo: If you’ve never experienced a real rodeo before, I highly encourage you to get yer’ butt to one. And Amarillo’s rodeo is a good one. Chock full of real cowboys doing cowboy things. Did I mention cowboys?
- Midnight Rodeo: If watching cowboys rope cattle ain’t yer thing, go dancing with them instead. They clean up quite nice (can’t even smell the cows anymore) and can dance almost as good as they can rope em up. Learning to Two Step at the Midnight Rodeo with the locals is one of the BEST experiences ever. You can dance yer little heart out – twirl and twang!
- Shop at Pretty Woman: If you’ve ever wondered where country stars and cowgirls get their bling, look no further than this Amarillo boutique. They’ve got everything you need – from fringe and bling leggings, rhinestone shirts, sequins dresses and of course blinged out belts.
- Eat at Torchy’s Tacos: We discovered Torchy’s on our most recent trip to Amarillo. It’s new, hip and has the best damn tacos in town. Plus, they make a good margarita and have an outdoor patio where you can enjoy a taco, a drink and maybe even some cowboys.
- Drink coffee at Evocation Coffee Roasters: Hands down the best coffee in Amarillo and the nicest baristas EVER. Caffeine up!
- Eat queso: Simple, just do it. Eat all the queso that Amarillo has to offer. Its everywhere – order it as a side with your veggies, french fries, chips or even tater tots.
- Shop for Boots N’ Jeans: They have many a stores dedicated to the best boots and jeans. You can get all your authentic cowboy(girl) needs in Amarillo.
- Eat Frito Pie: And add queso.
- Go to the Natural Grocers: When you’ve had too much queso, frito pie and cowboys, go to Amarillo’s Natural Grocer and get yerself some of their AMAZING fresh almond butter. You won’t be sad you did.
Stay Sweaty friends,