Not many people know this about me but unfortunately; I used to be addicted to Diet Coke. I almost hate admitting that I ever even drank the stuff because it’s so gross to me now. But I was so addicted to it that I would crave it for breakfast. And sometimes even drink it for breakfast. Eck. Gross. Yuck. Hanging my head. Tail between my legs.
When I finally realized that it was becoming a problem, I decided that it was time to quit my Diet Coke addiction….cold turkey. It’s at this time that I discovered and fell in love with sparkling water. Anytime I would get a hankering for the bubbly stuff, I’d grab a bottle of sparkling water instead. And it totally worked. I broke my Diet Coke habit to the point that I can’t even stand the stuff anymore. Truth!
And ever since I’ve swapped the soda for sparkling water, I’ve been a big advocate of finding ways to make it even more fun.
Here are my 5 favorite ways to spice up sparkling water.
- Add citrus or berries to your sparkling water: Berries and citrus are great for adding flavor to sparkling water – and the best part is that almost any combination will work. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Blueberries and tangerine: if you want something sweet, try this flavor combo as both the blueberries and the tangerine will add sweetness to your sparkling water.
- Raspberries and mint: This flavor combo always reminds me of a refreshing summer cocktail
- Lemon and tangerine: If you always opt for lemons in your water, try adding a bit of tangerine as well. The sweetness from the tangerine will help balance the tart of the lemon.
- When in doubt, add mint: Mint is a great compliment to almost any combination of fresh berries and citrus. Basil also works well with berries and citrus!
- If you like lemon water, try adding mint – it tastes refreshing and balances out the tart in the lemon.
- If you’re a berry lover, mint will help balance out the sweetness and give your beverage a cool, crisp flavor
- Muddle your berries for more flavor: If you want to add a little extra flavor to your sparkling water, consider muddling the berries. It will bring out the sweetness in the berries and add a little more texture to your drink. If you don’t want the added “texture,” you can also try soaking them overnight.
- Fruit Ice Cubes: If you don’t want to wait around for your fruit to infuse your water, do a little planning and create fruit juice ahead of time and then freeze it as ice cubes. You’ll get a subtle hint of fruit and a delicious and refreshing drink with far less sugars that you’d get frm drinking juice on its own! You can also just freeze the fruit itself if you’d prefer to skip the juice altogether!
- Just add juice: If you’re short on fresh fruit or just really craving juice, try adding a little sparkling water to your juice to get some of the flavor without all of the added sugars!
If you’re a sparkling water lover like me or just trying to kick soda or juice to the curb, join me for the Gerolsteiner Sparkling Detox! We’ll be replacing our normal beverages with Gerolsteiner Sparkling Mineral Water for five straight days — from September 12-16!
And for a limited time, Gerolsteiner will be giving 300 lucky detoxers a free supply of Gerolsteiner just in time to participate in the challenge. Supplies will be delivered prior to the September 12th start date.
Join “Gerolsteiner’s Sparkling Detox” Facebook Group to share your experience with fellow detoxers and get valuable tips from Fitness Expert and Nutritionist, Ariane Hundt!
Who’s with me?! Let’s get our #sparklingdetox on y’all!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Gerolsteiner but all words and opinions are my own. I truly appreciate all of the brands that support the Fit Approach community.
Kelly saysOctober 22, 2019 at 12:09 am
Wow, interesting! Your recipe is great, I love to try them asap, me and my mom loves water mixed with fruits, it helps you detoxify your body and maintain and good skin. Thanks for the share!